Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Best Ever Caramel Slice

When I turned the first page of my new cookbook and found this recipe to greet me my initial thought was that it had an extremely huge reputation to up hold, especially being "the best ever caramel slice."

I was excited to put the recipe to the test, so excited in fact that as I was mixing the base in the bowl, one eye on the task at hand, the other on the episode of Futurama I was watching on the telly when, I had a caramel slice base EXPLOSION, tripping over my puppy in the kitchen and creating an aerial spectacular of caramel slice base flying every where. My husband, who was sitting on the couch was in a fit of laughter as I try to fend off the helpless base from the terribe clutches of my over exuberant puppy and her hoover like manner, saying that we, my puppy and I were a match made in heaven, I would create the mess, and she, Gaia would be there to clean it, my own personal Dyson! I must say, in the end it was easier to bake a new base, Gaia was pleased with this decision and lay in her basket with a hard, round belly and a delightfully pleased smile on her face. Win, win I say!

I was even more pleased with the result, so pleased in fact that my husband and I found ourselves indulging in midnight feasts of delicious, gooey, caramel delights, I was so pleased in fact that I strayed from my plan and baked the recipe for a second time.

I am so excited to share this recipe with you, I hope you enjoy your baking experience as much as I did.

INGREDIENTS


1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (140g) desiccated coconut
125g butter, melted, plus 100g extra
2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup (80ml) golden syrup
1 1/3 cups (200g) dark chocolate melts, melted
1 tbsp vegetable oil

METHOD

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, line a 28cm x 18cm lamington pan.

2. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and coconut. Add butter and mix well. Press mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 15 - 20 min or until lightly browned. Cool.

3. Combine extra butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a pan and stir over a low heat until smooth. Pour over prepared base. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool

4. Combine choc melts and oil in a bowl and stir until smooth, pour evenly over caramel. Refrigerate until set. Cut into triangles to serve.




Handy Hint:
Don't wait until the chocolate has completely set before cutting it into triangles, this makes it a little tricky, cutting it when the chocolate is still a little soft makes the task child's play.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment